round and round...

Friday, June 12, 2009

Shuffle your feet

I hate moving. I despise it with every fiber of my being. I hate the sorting, the pressure to purge, the heart wrenching decisions about what hits the donation/recycling/trash bins and what makes the move to the next apartment. The packing sucks, the compartmentalizing of lives lived in a space. It's an upsetting process.

We have to move. We have been in this apartment for 4 years and we have to leave it. Our landlords' father passed away and her mother can't live alone, so they need our apartment for her. I understand fully that family comes first, of course, so I hold no ill will for our landlords. It's not their first choice of situations for us to move out and the mom to move in. Our landlords are not qualified caregivers and they also aren't keen on losing the income from our rent, but what needs to be done must be done.

The thought of leaving our neighborhood is too much to bear, so we've decided that we need to stay close. We've been looking for a month, we've seen 8 places now. Last night was the first time we saw one that we loved without hesitation. It's only one block from our place now, it's in a brownstone, pet-friendly, rent within our budget, a bedroom for Jude, a brand new kitchen, a working fireplace (!), and a new bathroom. It also has lots of original details from when the bldg was built in the 1920s. Gorgeous. We put in an application on the spot last night. I hope we get the place. We're up against the 3 other people who were seeing it after us last night, so my fingers are crossed that we made a good enough impression on the landlord when we met with him.

Is moving this stressful for everyone? I feel like my life is about to be uprooted... and if we get this place we'll only be moving one block away!

5 What people are saying:

Blogger Caroline rambles...

I will be keeping my fingers crossed for this apartment.

Yes moving is stressful!!! I hate the few weeks before moving when I am living out of boxes and not buying anything from the grocery store because I don't want to have to move food. And then there are my babies....cats are so weird anyway so when you through in a move it makes it even more stressful for me.

6/12/2009 04:16:00 PM

 
Blogger Lynilu rambles...

Oh, lawdy, I can't tell you how much I hate moving. It is always stressful, and you named the reasons very well. My last move was extremely stressful, because it took a year and a half to complete, and I swore I would not move again. Next time, the kids get to throw my junk out. I know you don't have that privilege.

The apartment sounds wonderful, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. Ahmina, ahmina, ahmina .... the universe is advised.

6/12/2009 05:25:00 PM

 
Blogger L. Britt rambles...

I actually don't mind moving. I mean it's exhausting, but it's a great feeling to have an excuse to get rid of stuff you haven't needed or wanted in a long time. Don't think of it as pressure to purge; if you want to bring everything with you...so be it. But I'll bet there are remnants of an old life that will feel very good to donate. And that means one less box to pack.

6/12/2009 11:28:00 PM

 
Blogger Retro Girl rambles...

I hate the mechanics of it too...the sorting, the packing, the unpacking...stuff getting broken or misplaced. I try to be so organized, with lists, labels, etc..but it doesn't always work 100%.

I've moved alot...and I hope to not have to do it again soon (unless it involves heading south where it's warmer!) The only plus about moving is enjoying that brand-new feeling and enjoying the decorating process....I can't imagine moving with a baby...*crossing my fingers hoping I don't have to find out anytime soon....bless your heart!*

6/13/2009 02:54:00 PM

 
Blogger Anisa rambles...

Good luck, Melissa! REALLY hope you get the place. Sounds perfect.

6/15/2009 12:09:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home