round and round...

Thursday, March 09, 2006

I didn't get it

The job, that is. I got this, instead, "We all loved you, you got rave reviews across the board, we just unfortunately went with another candidate that was somehow a better fit for the exact position." I don't really know what that means, but it doesn't matter. The VP actually sounded disappointed, as if she'd been overridden. I know it "wasn't meant to be" or else the job would have mine, but it doesn't take the sting out of the fact that the very best me wasn't good enough.

Right now I'm going to make myself a gin & tonic. Light on the tonic.

Square One, I thought I recognized you.

11 What people are saying:

Blogger Jenn rambles...

Oh Melissa - I'm so, so sorry. I know how much you wanted that job.

I'll skip the everything happens for a reason speech...ya gotta feel your feelings.

I just hate when disappointment hits folks I care about...my bloggy friend.

All I have to say now is that it's TOTALLY their loss. TOTALLY!

Enjoy your tonic-less gin.

3/09/2006 07:21:00 PM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

I think that the connections between people are remarkable - right, Fishy? I was just telling Kristie the same thing, that I really appreciate that she never gives me the pep talk when I'm first feeling the disappointment. You gotta feel your feelings. Jenn, you're a genius. And thanks, for the their loss thing. Funny enough, I know that's true. I still wish it was mine.

Now I get a little tipsy, I cry a bit, I pull myself up by the boot straps and I get on Monster and Hotjobs before I pack to go to NYC tomorrow.

3/09/2006 07:32:00 PM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

Well, I'd say go ahead and kill them (giggle, looks pleadingly at others) but if they change their mind about the person they hired and then end up wanting me in a month I'd like the opportunity to show them what they almost missed. So, how about we postpone the bludgeoning until April? But then - I'm ALL for it, Ralph!!!

BTW- the Fathead thing made me snort and sort of inhale gin & tonic, and I gotta tell ya - it was the best laugh I've had all day! Thank you!!!

3/09/2006 07:46:00 PM

 
Blogger The Rover rambles...

I gave you a mini-pep talk...that's what you get for talking without reading. Drinks are good.

3/10/2006 02:26:00 AM

 
Blogger Fish rambles...

Melissa, I'm really sorry.

As for postponing retribution until April - perfect, if you need someone to perform an act of anonymous, churlish retribution then I'm your man!

In the meantime G&T's all round, and I'm going home to kick the dogs so they can share in the sadness too.

3/10/2006 09:10:00 AM

 
Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

I am so sorry also. How disappointed you must feel. Don't look at it as your best wasn't good enough. You were just a square peg and the hole was octagonal.

3/10/2006 01:34:00 PM

 
Blogger the Wootang rambles...

back in the day, i enjoyed the gin and tonic. now gin is like a million flowers in my stomach fighting over who gets to make me puke first.

3/10/2006 10:23:00 PM

 
Blogger Mindi rambles...

Melissa,

I am so sorry.

I hope you killed that gin. It's meant to be, blah, blah, blah, doesn't help, but I hope that you are feeling better today.

The person they hired is going to suck in comparison to you!

3/11/2006 07:35:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous rambles...

Gin is a very good friend.
& yeah, whoever the person is who made the final decision? Is a poopiehead.
xoxox
Rach

3/11/2006 10:37:00 PM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

Wow, I can't thank you all enough. Kind words go a long way (and yes - death threats count as kind words in my book as long as they're directed towards those who cross me). I'm really very touched by all of your reactions and your thoughtfulness. I'm still bummed out, but I know there's something better out there for me. Now I just need to find it...

3/12/2006 11:22:00 PM

 
Blogger Minnesota Nice rambles...

Sounds like the CEO's nephew was given the job or something...

3/13/2006 05:58:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home