round and round...

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Hurry up and wait... not the most promising sign

I had the interview today. It was scheduled at 2:00. I was there at 2:00 sharp. I filled out their application (pet peeve: corporations that require applications to be filled out when they have your resume and all the info is right there, I understand why they do it, I still hate it), gave it back to the receptionist, and sat. And sat. And sat. The first 20 minutes went by and I thought "they're just busy, no big deal, surely someone will come get me soon". Then it was half an hour. Then 45 minutes. At the one hour mark I started to pack up my stuff because I had to get back to work - I was going to see if they could reschedule my interview for a more convenient time - just then the HR lady came out to bring me back to the offices. Nice.

She's strange. She's frazzled and obviously stressed out, she's repeating herself a lot, she's tripping over her own feet on the way to her office. She's wearing a long, pleated, polkadot dress a la my mom in 1989... and not in a cool retro way. She mentions to me that it's important to be flexible in this office at least 5 times on the minute-long walk we take to the other side of the floor. She never apologizes about the wait. Remember, it's been an entire hour.

We get to her office and sit down. 2 minutes later, right as she was about to actually ask me a question about my background, she closes the folder that has my application and resume in it and says we need to move to another office. She didn't get a phone call or a knock at the door to tell her that, she just abruptly moved us apparently due to a sign from god that I wasn't privy to. Either god or the voices in her head and at this point I'm betting it wasn't a heavenly intervention. So, we move. We start the process again. She leaves. She just gets up and leaves. She's gone for a couple minutes. She gets back and says, "So where were we?". No explanation of why she left with no warning or where she went, she's just ready to pick up where we left off.

Long story short, I finally met w/the production manager (who would be my boss) and she was cool. We only had 20 minutes together, but she seemed impressed with me and interested. All signs from her point to a second interview. All signs from the HR lady point to the sanitarium. Out of 2 hours I spent there only 20 minutes of it were productive. Let's hope they were productive enough to get a call back. Let's also hope that if they hire me I'll have no reason to interact with HR lady again.

6 What people are saying:

Anonymous Anonymous rambles...

Ooh! I hope they do hire you!
There are many loony HR people out there. Probably b/c their job involves screening people to see if THEY can get a job. I think that would make me crazy too...
xo
Rach

5/26/2006 09:38:00 AM

 
Blogger Jenn rambles...

I'm sorry - I know that had to be frustrating but the way you wrote about it is HILARIOUS!

I'll keep everything crossed for you!

5/26/2006 09:58:00 AM

 
Blogger Retro Girl rambles...

Sounds like the HR lady must've just had some negative meeting or experience before you got there...and let it overtake her. How unprofessional! I agree..she needs a one way ticket to the loony-bin lol.

Maybe it was a test...to see how you reacted to unexpected situations, what your patience level was like, and if you got nervous/excited/or distratcted too easily? Hmm. lol.

Anyway - hope you get the 2nd interview and if you decide it's the job and place for you--then I hope you get it :-)

5/26/2006 03:23:00 PM

 
Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

I hope she's the only loony there you have to deal with!
She must be kin to the lady across the street. I was helping her in her garden one afternoon and she just abruptly got up and went in the house. I figured "bathroom break". Awhile passed, no sign of her. Finally after an hour + I went and knocked on the door. She said the "spirits" told her she should stay inside the rest of the day. WTF?

5/26/2006 03:42:00 PM

 
Blogger Mindi rambles...

Makes me wonder what the HR lady was like when she interviewed for her job?!

Good luck!

5/30/2006 12:37:00 PM

 
Blogger Fish rambles...

Fancy a career in HR?

6/01/2006 04:48:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home