round and round...

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Last-minute reprieve!

(<-- my bro and my dad)

I have now become one of those 30 year old women who have been saved in one financial way or another by their father. I never thought it would happen to me. I'm not the kind of girl who discusses my finances with my parents... I'm an adult. We severed financial ties long ago and it's a good thing in my book.

So, when I called my dad on Friday afternoon and told him I needed to vent I was not expecting him to swoop in with a superhero getup and save the day. But he did. See, he had his performance review around the same time I had mine. His was equally filled with bullshit - it always is. In fact, his nickname around the store last year was Mr. Meets Expectations because of his constant middle of the road reviews no matter how well the store is performing. Anyway, we had previously talked about the bonus I was scheduled to get and how it was going to pay for the catering and all that. I told him I needed to vent about how I didn't get it on time and now I was screwed and Matthew was going to have to ask his crazy cokehead boss to front us the cash until my payout came through. I was talking very fast, my voice was loud, I was angry, he was quietly listening... and then I cracked. The tears started. I hate crying in front of my dad. He's not good with emotion. It makes him uncomfortable. His standard response to tears is, "You are out of control right now." I was out of control while I sobbed and told him I was very worried and let down and how those people are assholes and I need a new job and... and... and...

"Missy, (yes, that's my nickname that I can't seem to shake no matter how hard I try, stop laughing - the only people who are allowed to call me that are my family and my friends from high school, The Rover included) don't worry. I'll get you the money. The wedding will go off without a hitch. Don't you worry. It will be OK." When those words came out of his mouth I was shocked. Not shocked because my parents aren't kind people with generous hearts, but because I know my folks don't have that kind of money lying around. Turns out he had just gotten an equity loan to do some fixer-upper stuff around the house and he had some dough at his disposal. He wasn't going to start the repairs until after the wedding anyway, so he can loan me the money without it affecting him much at all.

The timing couldn't be more perfect. I'm amazed. You know what else is amazing? 3 different friends stepped forward of their own accord and offered to lend us their tax returns, no questions asked. I must say, I feel very loved and cared for. We are so fortunate. We have wonderful parents and unbelievable friends. Heroic acts of generosity have been shown to us in a pretty scary time... I know I will not soon forget how hopeless I felt only to be buoyed by our friends and family at a moment's notice.

Today I am grateful and humbled and full of joy. Tears are happy ones today. You don't think just because things are going well I'd stop crying, do you? *wink*

Labels: , , , , ,

6 What people are saying:

Blogger Lynilu rambles...

Aren't daddies the best?

:)

4/13/2008 02:03:00 PM

 
Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

Awesome. My Daddy paid for my wedding (yes i'm that kind of girl). You're Daddy rocks!

4/14/2008 10:50:00 AM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

Lynilu - Yes, daddies are the best. I must say, my dad is a man of few words, but he really knows what to say when it counts. I'm lucky.

Patti - I think so, too! I really couldn't have asked for a better "saves the day" kind of situation.

4/14/2008 11:12:00 AM

 
Blogger Retro Girl rambles...

Fathers are the absolute greatest. That is an example of what a truly good man and amazing father is. I am so happy for you, that you're blessed with such a wonderful family ****HUGS****

Sending a few blessing prayers your way...that everything falls into place, and works out as planned. *hugs*

4/14/2008 11:12:00 AM

 
Blogger Minnesota Nice rambles...

What a lifesaver. Now the wedding WILL go without a hitch, believe it and enjoy.

4/14/2008 01:05:00 PM

 
Blogger Caroline rambles...

Your Dad sounds wonderful. I am so happy that things are working out so well. I am sure your wedding will be perfect in every way.

4/14/2008 05:09:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home