round and round...

Friday, July 07, 2006

Marriage for all... even us breeders who can't get it right


Check out my friend, Ellie! This was page B6 of the NY Times today. She's the cute Korean chick in the front row. She's adorable in red. She deserves to get married if she wants to, you know. She loves like I love and I can get married... she can't. That smacks of wrong to me. I live w/her girlfriend, so I'm a little biased, but that doesn't change the issue. It seems like such a simple concept to me. It makes me very sad that it's an issue at all.

9 What people are saying:

Blogger kmtaylor rambles...

Oh, here fucking here! Sorry for the cussing, but I was incensed! Go Ellie! And go you, Melissa, for helping to make sure we never forget.

7/08/2006 11:29:00 AM

 
Blogger James Burnett rambles...

I used to hash this subject over in "deep," "philosophical" discussions w/buddies in booze dens after work or around the patio, etc. And then I grew up a few years back and realized that any consenting adult should do whatever the hell they want as long as they're not literally hurting or endangering other people. And as long as they're not, it's none of my business or anyone else's. We all have personal beliefs, but it cracks me up when I see pundits and politicians raising this issue as one that will negatively affect the very life of our country. Newsflash: Two dudes or two chicks hooking up is not gonna stop us from curing cancer (as if we were close, anyway). It's not gonna increase violent crime (greed and poverty are doing just fine with no help). It's not going to make world terrorism worse (again, a problem that needs no assistance right now). Lines at county government buildings for marriage licenses will get longer, but what's another 15 minutes in a line that was probably already slow as hell, anyway.

7/09/2006 12:33:00 AM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

Yep. It shouldn't even be an issue. It's such a non-issue to me.

James - that's one line I'd like to see get a little longer. Maybe an increased wait will make people think about the serious nature of marriage a few minutes longer (riiiiiight). Hell, our divorce rate is so high... why not let a few more people take a stab at it?

7/09/2006 12:57:00 AM

 
Blogger Jenn rambles...

I shouldn't ever be allowed to get married again. I suck at picking husbands...no...I really do. But I can if I want.

Anyone who wants to get married - to make that kind of committment - should be able to do so. Why is it such a big deal!??! Who cares and WHY!?!?

7/09/2006 05:00:00 PM

 
Blogger Retro Girl rambles...

Tell Ellie - "YOU GO GIRL" !!

It kills me that this should even be an issue...It should just be automatic, without question, and just standard...the norm...

EVERYONE/ANYONE should have the right to marry whomever the hell they want, anywhere, anytime...have equal rights for adoption, parenthood (any method), and family/partner benefits etc.

I'm with you...sad that society is so close minded.

I cannot for the life of me, understand why other people even care...(I could go on and on for hours...it pisses me off so bad..why people can't just Live and Let live---why all people cannot be equal in every way)...

7/09/2006 07:03:00 PM

 
Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

I am a married breeder and I fully sanction gay marriage. The "rights" that go with lawful matrimony should be extended to EVERYONE. Go Ellie! Go Melissa!

7/10/2006 01:09:00 PM

 
Blogger Minnesota Nice rambles...

Britney Spears has had two marriage licenses, so I don't want to hear another politician talk about marriage being a "sacred bond between a man and a woman" ANYMORE.

7/11/2006 01:53:00 PM

 
Blogger Mindi rambles...

I agree. Who cares who you love. Man, woman, whatever. I hope that America gets its head out of its ass and figures this out.

7/12/2006 10:39:00 AM

 
Blogger Pat rambles...

What slays me is that a convicted felon, serving a life sentence in prison has the right to marry. I don't have the right to marry the person that I love and have made commitments to.

7/21/2006 09:50:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home