round and round...

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Get this book. postsecret is a fantastic project that supports a suicide prevention hotline and also serves as an outlet for humor, heartbreak and hope. Frank Warren started it and still runs it. People from all over the world send him anonymous postcards with secrets on them. He started the project at Art-o-matic in DC and it's gone global online. I met him last night at a book signing.

It was one of the coolest things to happen to me yet this year.

Some people say that peering into secrets is narcissistic and self-serving, but I disagree. I choose to see it as a window into humanity, no matter how small or goofy the secret. Sometimes they're funny and nonchalant ("I fart in my cube at work and blame it on the guy next to me.") and sometimes they break your heart and open something up inside of you ("I'm beginning to find... my way." or "I hope my illness is fatal... so I have an excuse to give up."). It's therapy, a comedy show, a chat with a stranger, a talk with a good friend all at once.

Thanks, Frank.

Do you have a favorite postsecret secret or one of your own?

Kristie, I'm bringing your book down in a week and a half! :)

Labels:

5 What people are saying:

Blogger James Burnett rambles...

It's a fascinating book. I had a publisher's preview copy sent to me at work. At first I thought it was incredibly weird. But I took a second to look it up online and figure out what it was about. People's secrets are bizarre. I'm amazed and disturbed and a little amused...and impressed at what people admit to.

1/10/2007 10:57:00 PM

 
Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

I like Post Secret too. You run the gamut of feelings reading them, that's for sure!

1/11/2007 01:11:00 PM

 
Blogger Steven rambles...

Never heard of it...hmmmm...might have to check it out.

Steve~

1/12/2007 11:53:00 AM

 
Blogger Unknown rambles...

No, not familiar. But I did my Fieldwork as a Psych major as a suicide and crisis intervnetion phone counselor for two years. It was an eye-opening experience I'll always have with me.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

1/12/2007 09:14:00 PM

 
Blogger Retro Girl rambles...

I need to get the books and look at them. I sent a post card in about 8 months ago and it's never been on the site, however they say to read their books - the cards could get put in but never make it online....

This is an amazing project and great website too....I think it's another avenue to help people reach out and have their stories heard -even if it is anony....

1/13/2007 08:02:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home