round and round...

Monday, February 12, 2007


Yesterday I saw a play that I really enjoyed. The ending left something to be desired, but I liked the rest of it so much that the whole overcame the finale. I like it more today than I did yesterday, and I liked it then! The more I think about it the more strongly I react to it. I went with a dear friend who I hadn't seen in way too long and that, I'm sure, added to my overall enthusiasm about the performances.
I thought the acting was great. Well, most of it was great and some if it was good - but that's a pretty encouraging report card for off-Broadway shows here in NYC. The director, Michael Grief, did Rent and Grey Gardens. As my friend said, "I'm shocked this doesn't have a catwalk." *snicker* Another plus is that it was put on by MCC, a really great company. (insider info: the female lead is in the new Jim Carey flick Number 23 - and as my friend and I both noticed she has a Meredith Grey/Ellen Pompeo quality about her) The male lead, the husband, blew my mind he was so excellent. So excellent, in fact, that I was utterly convinced that he was a real person - that the man onstage was that actor all the time. Really amazing.

I think the reason I enjoyed the piece so much is that it was moving. It was uncomfortable, lovely, very funny, heartbreaking, shocking at points... all those things in one show. I always appreciate when something I see moves me to emotion rather than manipulates my senses. Does that make sense? I appreciate a well crafted sadness onstage, but I can do without canned depression. The emotion in this play was very real feeling. Like a good cry, you know? I had a good, hearty cry last week in the kitchen while MT was making dinner. We were having some random conversation and I got very worked up and cried for what felt like no good reason. It came out of nowhere and really took my by surprise. And then it hit me - I've actually just been so happy lately that I haven't cried. I guess my body needed to get rid of some stress hormones or something, because I had no personal emotional reason to cry. It felt great. We ended up laughing really hard while the tears were rolling down my cheeks and my mascara was staining his t-shirt. It's remarkable how little you care about snot and makeup on your shirt when you love someone. Make a card for that one, Hallmark, I dare you!

But back to the play for a minute... I was so happy to have hung out with my friend, to have seen a piece of theatre that I really liked, to have experienced a wonderful New York afternoon. This is the best place for me. Even in my dreams I live here. What a cool thing.

Labels: ,

7 What people are saying:

Blogger Unknown rambles...

I'm envious! I really do miss seeing (& more, being a part of) theater.

2/13/2007 12:09:00 AM

 
Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

What a cool afternoon indeed! Sometimes a good cry is, well, just good!

2/13/2007 08:07:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous rambles...

I always appreciate when something I see moves me to emotion rather than manipulates my senses. Does that make sense?

It absolutely makes sense to me (pardon the pun).

Human emotion is a hard thing to convey and, when something like this is able to do that, I think it's not only enjoyable, but what I like to call a "learnable moment."

2/13/2007 12:56:00 PM

 
Blogger Minnesota Nice rambles...

I used to go to theater all the time and for some reason just haven't really followed it the last few years. You made me want to see what's playing around here now. When it's good, it's so good.

2/13/2007 04:26:00 PM

 
Blogger Unknown rambles...

What a cool story! I was happy for you to read this! lol!

2/21/2007 03:55:00 PM

 
Blogger Retro Girl rambles...

I really miss the theatre too. My friend growing up was in community theatre...and while a small company, they were really good and I really enjoyed going to rehearsal with him and being there opening night (and multiple nights of some shows).

It is amazing when a play or movie can evoke deep emotional recognition and reaction in you. Depending upon the impact of, it can spark a journey of self discovery often-times...

2/23/2007 03:44:00 PM

 
Blogger James Burnett rambles...

The play sounds like it was very deep, and that would be a cool card from Hallmark. No love like unconditional love.

2/26/2007 02:43:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home