round and round...

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Tailor Made


I had a fitting this morning. Been commissioned to make a jacket. Did all the usual meeting-with-the-client stuff. Took measurements, made notes, discussed fabrics, talked about production schedule, scratched behind the ears, picked up poop... *needle dragging across a record* um, what?

Oh, I forgot - my client is a dog. I'm making a jacket for a dog. I'm getting paid to make a custom jacket for a dog. This has got to be the coolest thing to happen this week.

Before the holidays I went to the wine store to buy a bottle to take to a party and I took Duke with me. It was drizzling rain, so I put his jacket on to keep him dry. I hooked his leash to the dog anchor (lots of places in my 'hood have these little hooks on their storefronts that have special loops designed to lash leashes to - brilliant) and went about my wine-buying business. When I came out, there was a guy petting him and talking to him really sweetly. We got to talking about Duke, turns out the guy has a pit mix who's a little smaller than Duke (more like 25lbs smaller once we saw them together) and he's the same color and everything. Looks kinda like Duke's Mini Me. Anyway, he loved Duke's jacket and asked where I got it... one thing led to another and I gave him my card.

Well, he emailed me earlier this week to order a jacket for his pooch. So, we met up this morning in the park, I got all the measurements and fabric selections I need and the dogs got to play. Awesome stuff. This is going to be a very fun little business for me. Feeling really good about it. MT even made me a logo. I'm getting cards printed up and I'll be launching a website in the next couple months. *big grin*

Labels: , , ,

8 What people are saying:

Blogger Frank Marcopolos rambles...

muchos kudos!

1/13/2007 05:02:00 PM

 
Blogger Retro Girl rambles...

You are such a rockstar!!! That is so cool! Way to go! You're so talented!!

I would love to see your website --for Lucie, my big 72 lb doggie, when you're up and running....I can never find anything in her size at the pet stores...it's all for tiny dogs!

1/13/2007 08:00:00 PM

 
Blogger Mrs. S. rambles...

Wow! People buy custom made clothes for their dogs? My dog hates it when I put clothes on her..

1/13/2007 11:56:00 PM

 
Blogger The Rover rambles...

You are the winner!

And, speaking of clothes...sweatshirt?

1/14/2007 01:48:00 AM

 
Blogger Steven rambles...

Congratulations Grinny McGrinnerson! ;)

Steve~

1/15/2007 02:12:00 PM

 
Blogger Minnesota Nice rambles...

This has the potential be REALLY BIG. The website is an awesome idea.

1/17/2007 12:48:00 PM

 
Blogger Unknown rambles...

ROCK ON!
-Rach

1/18/2007 12:01:00 AM

 
Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

Too cool, I can't think of anything better than making pet clothes.

1/18/2007 01:57:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home