round and round...

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Good news

I was inspired by Lynilu's comment on my post from yesterday. She mentioned that often we don't hear of the good news on the news. The news is always the bad stuff. The nasties of the day packed into a neat & tidy half hour of doom & gloom. Fun, right? Well, in an effort to balance out the bad with a smidge of the good here's the Wednesday Good News Report:

1) Environmental: A woman is being honored for saving Lake Baikal in Russia from a huge oil pipeline. Marina Rikhvanova is receiving an award in San Francisco for her environmental activism. She was scared of what would happen to the eco systems in the lake, so she mounted a campaign to raise awareness and protest the construction. She won! The pipeline was rerouted.

2) Personal: We received a wedding gift with a card that said "For Lucy & Ricky from Fred & Ethel". It was from our landlords who live upstairs. How funny is that? Adorable.

3) Medical/Scientific: There has been cool new research done in the field of hearing aids. Most people don't think about hearing aids unless they wear them, but those who are hearing impaired usually have a love/hate relationship with them. They can be clunky and ineffective. A new one is so teeny it lives in the ear canal near the eardrum and you can't see it from the outside. Pretty sweet!

Got some good news to report? Leave it in the comments.

UPDATE: 4) Personal: I have a job interview tomorrow afternoon. Yay!

Labels: , ,

6 What people are saying:

Blogger Minnesota Nice rambles...

This is my favorite news story in a while:

Iraq Dog Saved By Marine

4/16/2008 11:17:00 AM

 
Blogger Monogram Queen rambles...

I don't read or watch the news much but i'm always glad to read something good passed along.
LOVE Sandra's contribution!

4/16/2008 12:49:00 PM

 
Blogger Lynilu rambles...

I love the wedding gift note!! And I was interested in the hearing aid note. I have a fairly significant hearing loss, and I have avoided every doing anything about it because of the potential discomfort. I can't even use an ear bug with my iPod or cell phone. even loosely in the outer ear, it causes too much pain for me to use more than a few minutes. So ... YAY!

I'm kind of like Patti. I don't watch much news because it is depressing. Here is a feel-good story that wasn't a headliner, of course. I was pleased this morning to see the NBC Today Show crew in Albuquerque, giving a truckload of necessities to an organization that provides a home for children while their parents do what they must to get back on their feet (rehab, job, etc.) ... without threats of never seeing the kids again ... and helps them find housing, etc. Good for them!

Good post, Melissa!

4/16/2008 02:01:00 PM

 
Blogger Retro Girl rambles...

So good to hear Good News for a change! Thanks for sharing!

I always love to hear stories of courageous women standing up for what they believe in! Love the wedding gift note, too! How cute.
Good thing on the hearing aids too--my sister-in-law who is in her Thirties has significant hearing loss and will be very interested to hear that. Why did it take them this long?

Way to go on the job interview...hope it goes well for you and is something you'll be really interested in.

4/16/2008 07:14:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous rambles...

Excellent post, Lucy.

Hopefully, you will have good news to post about your job interview very soon. I am crossing my fingers, toes, and eyes.

4/17/2008 12:53:00 AM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

Sandra - YES! Fantastic story! Thank you! (P.S. One of the shelters I volunteer for emailed me to see if I could spend some time with the dogs slated for euthanasia. This is the city-run kill shelter. My heart broke. But I'm going to do it. Of course, I'm going to do it.)

Patti - I think you're better off that way, hon!

Lynilu - The inspiration for the post! I love that story. Finally, a place that helps at rish parents instead of threatening them. That is some real good news!

Retro Girl - Your SIL might be a good candidate! I have an almost deaf ear (darn lefty), but I function OK so far. Maybe in the future I'll be looking into this for me, too! And thanks for the good wishes - it went well!!

Cajunvegan - Woman, uncross thyself! If someone slaps you on the back you'll stick that way. But, it worked, the interview went well! ;-)

4/17/2008 04:13:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home