round and round...

Monday, April 14, 2008

Raise your voice

I'm always a proponent of speaking up. Speak up against injustices (big ones and small ones), against violence, for good food, on behalf of those with no voices, against bad movies, against bad grammar, for the wonders of chocolate covered pretzels... the list goes on.

Today I'm raising my voice and speaking up about type 1 diabetes. My friend, Kerri, has the disease and she told her blog readers about Raise Your Voice day which is today, 4/14/08. Most people are familiar with type 2 diabetes - the kind you hear about a lot in the news because our country is developing it at an alarming rate due to our fat fat fat high sugar and salt ways. Most people are not, however, all that familiar with type 1. You might have wondered why type 2 was the second when you'd never heard of the first, but that's as far as it goes for most folks.

Please take a moment to read Kerri's blog entry for today. She's eloquent and she's a great advocate for people with type 1 diabetes and the treatments available today and those being researched for the future. She cannot be cured of this disease. She was diagnosed as a small kid and has been dealing with this her whole life. Next month, when she marries her awesome fiance, Chris (Matthew's locker mate from high school), she will wear her insulin pump in a pocket sewn in by her seamstress. When she & Chris want to start a family she will have to take serious precautions and prepare her body well in advance of any possible pregnancy. She will be stuck with needles and prodded by meters every day for the rest of her life... and unless you know her you'd never have a clue she has a disease.

She's in better shape than I am, she's beautiful, she's smart as a whip, funny as hell, and she lives her life with a resolve to keep her diabetes at bay as much as she can. She doesn't let it define her, but it easily could.

Take a moment, learn a little, tell someone else about type 1 today. The more we talk about it the closer we get to more research, closer to a cure, closer to the day that Kerri can walk around without being attached to a machine.

4 What people are saying:

Blogger Nicey rambles...

Cool the little man against the bit things in life, always good to speak up

4/15/2008 05:18:00 AM

 
Blogger Kerri. rambles...

So I made it through the day yesterday without losing it, but your post just made me cry.

THANK YOU for being a voice that I did not anticipate being raised. I'm so touched that you're a part of this.

So excited to wish you both well in just a few weeks!

4/15/2008 05:11:00 PM

 
Blogger Melissa rambles...

Nicey - Welcome! Yep, sometimes the little voices add up.

Kerri - It's my pleasure, girl. You inspire people every day, the least I can do is raise my voice in concert. Like I said to Nicey, the little voices can add up. The more talk happens the more action happens. I'm all for that!

4/15/2008 05:20:00 PM

 
Blogger Kerri. rambles...

Oh, and I also speak out against bad grammar. It makes me [sic].

(Do you have any idea how long I've been waiting to use that t-shirt quip in a real-life situation? A LONG TIME. I feel complete now. Thank you.)

4/15/2008 05:20:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home