round and round...

Friday, March 02, 2007

Ow, my head


I have a headache. I've had it now for about 3 days. Gee, could it have anything to do with the ridiculous amount of hours I've been working lately? And by lately I mean the last month... and the next month as long as my client doesn't magically disappear from the face of the earth.

Magical disappearance might be nice. No, wait, I take that back. The people I work with on the client side are lovely, I like them all. Well, almost all of them. Anyway, the people are cool, it's the work that's killing me these days. It's not the peoples' fault.

12-14 hours a day worth of localization. That's a fancy schmancy way of saying translation. Ever gone to one of Google's international sites? Well, the company I work for makes those. Microsoft? You know that drop down menu when it tells you to pick your country? We make those. My client is a well known software manufacturer whose name rhymes with Schmadobe. They make PDFs possible. They're quite acrobatic, if you catch my crazily obvious drift. I make their products (web, print, documentation, packaging, all that jazz) go from English to Japanese, Chinese (traditional and simplified), Korean and Brazilian Portuguese. Yep, that's my job.

I actually like my job. I like the challenge, I like the million balls in the air and not letting any drop kind of environment. I'm just swamped right now. I'm in crunch time because I'm the sole project manager on the account and I'm responsible for more work than one person can manage. CS3 is launching this Spring and that means every Japanese, Korean, Chinese and Portuguese piece of paper, web page, box, DVD cover, you name it associated with any of the CS products (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver, etc.) is produced by me and my global team. It's a lot. It's more than I can handle. It give me headaches. Ow.

I worked from home today. It's a nice perk. If I need to for whatever reason I can work from home now and then and it's totally OK with my head honchos. I've got access to my desktop at work right from my laptop. I worked all day in my sweats. Duke kept me company. He's a good co-worker. Except for when he farts in his cubicle. That's gross.

I did one thing to break the work monotony today - I took a nice hot bath and when I was done I styled my hair into a mohawk. Kristie had one when she came up a couple weeks ago and I wanted one, too. So I had a mohawk... that no one saw. Weird. I'm a strange kid, what can I say? It made me smile. I guess it's worth it.

P.S. That's a shot from the photo shoot. tee hee

Labels:

4 What people are saying:

Blogger Retro Girl rambles...

I wish I had a job where I could work from home...in my PJ's...(with Lucie by my feet) You're lucky there!

Your job sounds very interesting and challenging...very awesome.

That photo rocks! I swear you oughta be a model! :-)

3/03/2007 07:18:00 PM

 
Blogger The Rover rambles...

Your job makes mybr/>
You should have taken a picture of the mohawk for us! And I have no objections, ever, to seeing more pictures of your photoshoot...

3/03/2007 08:24:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous rambles...

i can't wait to see you in two weeks. i hate that you go through this knowing that there's not a single thing i can do to help. *sigh*
will you give me a hawk for st. patty's day? :) you know i won't be able to do it on my own- i'm totally hopeless! thank goodness for stylists and melissas!
miss you, boo. i really do.

3/05/2007 12:37:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous rambles...

I like the photo shoot -- would love to see it non-cartoonized...

3/05/2007 02:33:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home